Neptune's Fountain, is a historic fountain in Gdańsk, which was constructed with the initiative of Mayor Bartholomäus Schachmann, and the local authorities. The fountain is located at the Long Market, in front of the entrance to the Artus Court. Kashubians use a nickname Krësztof for the sculpture.
In 1549 a now unknown well was located by the entrance of Artus Court, which may have had metal decorative pieces. The well was located slightly closer to the Motława.
The local authorities of Danzig (Gdańsk), together with Mayor Bartholomäus Schachmann wanted to raise a more notable monument. The first mason to receive an offer to complete the project was Jakob Kordes from Lübeck, but for unknown reasons his plan was not accepted. The new fountain was to be constructed at the centre of the facade of the Artus Court, from the Green Gate the fountain would be seen with the Main town hall in the background, with the turn to the Long Lane.
Neptune, the god of the sea - was to be placed facing the townhouses, which were the residence of the Polish kings, while at their stay in Danzig, the mythological god was to have his head bow down to them. The fountain was to have underground pumps connecting the fountain to the Potok Siedlecki by Sienny Market; however, the pressure was too low.
Formerly, the fountain was painted. The fountain was opened in October 9, 1633, the delay was caused due to numerous disruptions: the renovation of the Artus Court; problems with the robustness of the water system; the Thirty Years' War; and the death of Abraham van den Blocke. The inauguration of the fountain's operation took place in March 23, 1634. Between the years of 1757 and 1761, Johann Karl Stender made new fragments of the fountain and stem, and meister blacksmith Jakob Barren had reconstructed and replaced the broken grate. This is when the fountain received its rococo architectural style.
In 1927, the fountain was renovated. The fountain was damaged during World War II, and moved to Parchau (Parchów), near Beuthen (Bytów); after World War II the tower was subsequently renovated and put back to operation in July 22, 1957. In 1988, as part of renovation works the fountain's genitals were covered with a fig leaf. A full renovation of the fountain occurred between September 2011 and April 2012.
*Location: 285 Km northwest from Warsaw.
*Duration: 30 minutes.
*Best time: March-November.